A safari to Tanzania provides a great and incredible wildlife experience compared to other destinations. If you want to travel for the first time, it may somehow be confusing with little or no clue of what to expect in the safari.
The following tips will greatly help in highlighting the important and necessary facts. Above all, to help you plan an adventurous trip for a lifetime experience.
1. Best Time To Visit
All parks and reserves are accessible throughout the year. However, there are more convenient times for the finest experience.
- June to October(Dry Season)- these are the best times for high peak seasons where game drive are mostly done due to large concentration of animals. It is also the best time for “The Great Migration” to witness thousands of wildebeests and zebras migrating to the north.
- November to February– the wet season is also good for game viewing, though the concentration of animals is small compared to the high season. It’s also the calving season for the wildebeests.
- December to March – warm season and best time for climbing Mt Kilimanjaro.
2. How To Get There
- Transport To and From Tanzania- the country is both accessible by air and land. The country has three international airports- Julius Nyerere, International Airport(Dar) Kilimanjaro International Airport(JRO) and Abeid Amani Karume International Airport(Zanzibar). A bus can also be taken to Tanzania form neighboring countries like Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi.
- Transport Within Tanzania- the main means of transport within the country include local flights, rental cars and buses.
3. Know The Main Safari Activities
There are various things to do while in the African bushes. These include:
- Game drive
- Walking safaris
- Cultural tours
- Night Game Drive
4. Get A Visa
It is highly recommended for all travelers to have a visa before entering the country. They usually cost $50 for citizens from most countries with the exception of US. Application is done through Tanzania Embassy website which is highly recommended to do so before you travel.
However, visas can also be obtained upon the arrival at the airport. It’s important to note that they are valid for only three months from the issued date.
5. Get To Know The Main Health Issues
The great concern is to acquire immunization for Yellow Fever, Hepatitis A, Typhoid and Diphtheria. However the vaccine is only important for citizens from countries suspected to have the above diseases.
Malaria is also to be taken seriously since it’s possible to catch it while in Tanzania. Travelers can have an anti-malaria medication provided by a doctor. However there are other self defense ways like covering yourself, applying repellants and sleeping under a net to avoid mosquito bites.
Tanzania’s main mode of payment is Tanzanian Shillings (TShs) and US dollar ($). It’s recommended to have enough supply of cash since credit cards are not used everywhere. Most payments are done through dollar though there are occasions where TShs is highly applicable. The current exchange rate is US$1= TShs 2270 for $50 and $100 and US$1= TShs 2000 for $1, $5 and $10.
7. Packing List
It’s important to have the right and necessary equipments needed for the safari. It include
- Right clothing- long sleeve shirts, raincoats, sunglasses warm pants, 3-4 pair of socks, safari boots, and sunhats
- Medical facilities – yellow fever card, malaria medication, pain killers, sunscreen and mosquito repellants
- Electronic devices- digital camera, binocular, tablet/ipad
- Personal toiletries- toilet paper, toothpaste, shampoo and toothbrush
The country has many quality and standard hotels and lodges ranging from budget to luxury. All national parks and game reserves provide the right hotels to suit personal interests. Lodging is very excellent in urban centers like Arusha, Moshi, Dar-es-salaam, Mwanza, Morogoro and Zanzibar ranging from 1 to 5 Star hotels.
The main Tanzanian’s language is Swahili used by most citizens. The second major language is English, spoken by the majority. However in rural areas, it is not often for people to use English.
Tanzania is among the world’s best destinations offering great safari adventures to suit most traveler’s needs. It does not only offer wildlife safari but also a chance to climb Mt Kilimanjaro, the highest free standing mountain in the world. It also offers exclusive beach vacation in the beautiful Zanzibar beaches.
If you are interested in wildlife safari, I kindly ask you to visit our Safari Pages as to book your safari itinerary.